Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Paleo-this and Paleo-that

Yesterday, I was trying to find some grad programs for quaternary research. The "paleo-vocabulary" involved was pretty extensive. I think that anyone who has an interest in any type of research during the quaternary period, simply sticks the prefix of "paleo" onto whatever they want. Which is cool. In fact, I did the same thing naming this blog, which is named after my upcoming website.

Today, I did a google search, simply typing in "paleo". Some results are more scientific than others, some are even very amusing.

One of my favorites is Paleo-Entertainment. I think I saw this job vacancy advertised on Monster, and involved planning social activities at a nursing home.

My other favorites are in bold:

paleo-facts
paleo-perspectives (outdated points of view??)
paleo-lithic
paleo-climatology
paleo-diet
paleo-indians
paleo-paradoxia (huh? I'll have to do some further googling)
paleo-judaica (old Jews?)
paleo-dna
paleo-ethology
paleo-ed
paleo-research
paleo-data
paleo-tethys sea
paleo-future (a lesson in contradictions???)
paleo-park (complete with wheelchairs and enema bags for the geriatric crowd's enjoyment)
paleo-question
paleo-discoveries
paleo-paganism (old non-believers???)
paleo-festival
paleo-webserver (an outdated Windows system, I'm sure)
paleo-perspectives
paleo-cookie (I can't even comment on this one, I'm laughing so hard. Whatever kind of cookie it is, I wouldn't suggest eating it)
paleo-conservative (the opposite of a paleo-pagan?? Or, John McCain's political views??)
paleo-sculpture (works of art using holocene deposits as the medium???)
paleo-music (this is probably what my daughter thinks I listen to)
paleo-laptop (I'm working from one now!)
paleo-kitchen (a stone hearth and sticks to start a fire with is all the rage these days!)
paleo-biology
paleo-botany
paleo-tools
paleo-pop (another of my favorite music genres, mostly music by Barry Manilow and Englebert Humperdink.)

OK, I'll stop for now, because I've learned that the list is ENDLESS!

But I do have to say, that during my search for a grad program, I found something that I am truly interested in: PALEO-FECES.

I shit you not.

No comments: